Friends of the Albany Public Library
In 1941, the Friends of the Albany Public Library was established to provide funds for programs and equipment not covered by the City budget. As the services offered by the Library continue to increase, the support of the Friends becomes ever more important.
Raising Small Animals in Your Own Backyard for Food & Fun
Friday March 14, 2014 at NOON
Main Albany Public Library
Amy Schmadeka of the Animal Health Department of Coastal Farm & Ranch in Albany will discuss raising and caring for chickens.
- City ordinances regarding keeping chickens within the city limits.
- Proper care and feeding to maintain a happy healthy flock.
- Proper fencing and housing.
- Many benefits of raising your own chickens including food, fertilizer, and insect control.
Bill Kimmel, manager of Love Bunny Rabbitry breeders of Dutch and Californian rabbits in Lebanon will discuss techniques for raising and showing of rabbits. Using live rabbits the differences between pet and show rabbits will be illustrated. Bill has assisted 4-H kids for over 7 years and has shown rabbits all over the state for the past 8 years.
- Raising rabbits as pets and for meat.
- Proper care, feeding, and housing of healthy rabbits.
This program is free and open to the public. Bring a friend–coffee and cookies will be served.
September Sallie Reihl, Seeking the Elephant: OR-CA Pioneer Trails
October JoLee & Steve Bryant, Visiting National Parks
November FOL Booksale
December Tim Reid, A Christmas Reading
January Matt Morse, Wine Authority
Library Uncorked Save the date for the Library Uncorked gala event celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Carnegie Library; it will be held February 8, 2014.
April To be announced
May Everett Kaser, Bee Culture
View a list of past programs hosted by the Friends as well as the program flyers.
Become a Friend of Albany Public Library
- Friends of the Library Bookstore
April is membership month
Dues: Senior - $10
Individual - $15
Family - $20
Sustaining - $50
Sponsor - $100
Benefactor - $500
- To join the Friends, please stop by the Bookstore, or pick up a brochure at either Library. Please make checks payable to: FRIENDS OF THE ALBANY PUBLIC LIBRARY. Mail to 2450 14th Ave. SE, Albany, OR, 97322-6880
- For a downloadable membership form, click here.
- BOOK STORE- Main Library - M, W, F 1:00-5:00; Tues 12:00-3:00; Sat 1:00-4:00
- Noon programs the second Friday of each month, September-May
- Summer Reading Programs for children, young adults and adults, June-August
- 2013 Used Book Sale - Save this date! November 8 - 9, 2013; Linn County Fairgrounds
- Author's Day in April
- Used books for sale at both Library branches
- Book bags, note cards, coffee cups, and holiday ornaments for sale at the Friends Book Store
- For book donation pick-up call Nancy Powell at 541-928-4400
SERIOUSLY SEEKING BOOKS! You and your donations are needed! All types of books welcome, and don't forget your CD's, and DVD's. Bring your books to back entrance of the new library or to the Carnegie Library.
Recent Purchases from Dues and Gifts
- Meeting room chairs and tables
- Chairs for catalog access
- Window coverings
- Books, and other materials
- Magazine racks
- Microfilm Reader Printer