Friends of the Albany Public Library
In 1941, the Friends of the Albany Public Library was established to provide funds for programs and equipment not covered by the City budget. As the services offered by the Library continue to increase, the support of the Friends becomes ever more important.
Adventures in Beekeeping!
Friday May 9, 2014 at NOON
Main Albany Public Library
Everett Kaser, long-time Albany resident and computer programmer, turned beekeeper will share the adventures of his first year in beekeeping at the Friends of the Albany Library community program. All are welcome; coffee, tea, and cookies served.
Come along as Everett describes the happenings and mishaps as he starts in the spring with two very small colonies of bees, grows the apiary (bee yard) to five colonies, and tries to keep them alive through the winter to start a new cycle. Mr. Kaser has documented his journey with a slide presentation. See some of the equipment that beekeepers use and learn about the amazing complexity of life in a bee colony. Also, a taste of the fruits of Everett’s labor may be available—local blackberry honey!
Everett has worked most of his adult life as a computer programmer, first at Hewlett-Packard and later for himself. He’s been earning a living writing computer puzzle and logic games for 25 years. A year ago, Everett became a beekeeper, an activity that attracted him ever since he experienced a large bee swarm when he was 12 years old.
New FOL Membership year begins in May. Please support your Friends of the Albany Public Library by paying dues promptly.
September Sallie Reihl, Seeking the Elephant: OR-CA Pioneer Trails
October JoLee & Steve Bryant, Visiting National Parks
November FOL Booksale
December Tim Reid, A Christmas Reading
January Matt Morse, Wine Authority
Library Uncorked Save the date for the Library Uncorked gala event celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Carnegie Library; it will be held February 8, 2014.
View a list of past programs hosted by the Friends as well as the program flyers.
Become a Friend of Albany Public Library
- Friends of the Library Bookstore
April is membership month
Dues: Senior - $10
Individual - $15
Family - $20
Sustaining - $50
Sponsor - $100
Benefactor - $500
- To join the Friends, please stop by the Bookstore, or pick up a brochure at either Library. Please make checks payable to: FRIENDS OF THE ALBANY PUBLIC LIBRARY. Mail to 2450 14th Ave. SE, Albany, OR, 97322-6880
- For a downloadable membership form, click here.
- BOOK STORE- Main Library - M, W, F 1:00-5:00; Tues 12:00-3:00; Sat 1:00-4:00
- Noon programs the second Friday of each month, September-May
- Summer Reading Programs for children, young adults and adults, June-August
- 2013 Used Book Sale - Save this date! November 8 - 9, 2013; Linn County Fairgrounds
- Author's Day in April
- Used books for sale at both Library branches
- Book bags, note cards, coffee cups, and holiday ornaments for sale at the Friends Book Store
- For book donation pick-up call Nancy Powell at 541-928-4400
SERIOUSLY SEEKING BOOKS! You and your donations are needed! All types of books welcome, and don't forget your CD's, and DVD's. Bring your books to back entrance of the new library or to the Carnegie Library.
Recent Purchases from Dues and Gifts
- Meeting room chairs and tables
- Chairs for catalog access
- Window coverings
- Books, and other materials
- Magazine racks
- Microfilm Reader Printer