Friends of the Albany Public Library
In 1941, the Friends of the Albany Public Library was established to provide funds for programs and equipment not covered by the City budget. As the services offered by the Library continue to increase, the support of the Friends becomes ever more important.
Ice cream and books for kids is a perfect summer match! The plan is to give away free ice cream and a book to elementary age kids to encourage them to keep reading over the summer. Matt & Janel Bennett made arrangements to get the ice cream and a freezer, and gathered up the books to give away. And thanks to them we have a truck and driver from the Albany Fire Dept. to carry the ice cream and the books. We expect to have at least 2 Friends of the Albany Library for each Wednesday, from July 23 through Aug 27; you may view the complete schedule here. Donations of children’s books for the project can be brought to the Carnegie Library. Learn more.
The Book Buddies program provided by the Albany Department of Parks and Recreation is running this summer at the Albany Public Library. Foster Grandparents work one on one with children to retain and improve their reading skills during the summer break. Friends of the Library are especially invited to volunteer their time to help check-in the children for their sessions. Learn more.
Save the Date for Library Uncorked 2015!
Saturday February 7, 2015 at the Main Library.
The Friends of the Albany Public Library are planning another gala wine tasting and silent auction event right before Valentine’s Day. This time it will be held at the Main Albany Public Library.. SAVE THE DATE NOW!
View a list of past programs hosted by the Friends as well as the program flyers.
Become a Friend of Albany Public Library
- Friends of the Library Bookstore
April is membership month
Dues: Senior – $10
Individual – $15
Family – $20
Sustaining – $50
Sponsor – $100
Benefactor – $500
- To join the Friends, please stop by the Bookstore, or pick up a brochure at either Library. Please make checks payable to: FRIENDS OF THE ALBANY PUBLIC LIBRARY. Mail to 2450 14th Ave. SE, Albany, OR, 97322-6880
- For a downloadable membership form, click here.
- BOOK STORE- Main Library – M, W, F 1:00-5:00; Tues 12:00-3:00; Sat 1:00-4:00
- Noon programs the second Friday of each month, September-May
- Summer Reading Programs for children, young adults and adults, June-August
- 2014 Used Book Sale – Save the date! November 7-8, 2014; Linn County Fairgrounds
- Author’s Day in April
- Used books for sale at both Library branches
- Book bags, note cards, coffee cups, and holiday ornaments for sale at the Friends Book Store
- For book donation pick-up call Nancy Powell at 541-928-4400
SERIOUSLY SEEKING BOOKS! You and your donations are needed! All types of books welcome, and don’t forget your CD’s, and DVD’s. Bring your books to back entrance of the new library or to the Carnegie Library.
Recent Purchases from Dues and Gifts
- Meeting room chairs and tables
- Chairs for catalog access
- Window coverings
- Books, and other materials
- Magazine racks
- Microfilm Reader Printer