Friends of the Albany Public Library
In 1941, the Friends of the Albany Public Library was established to provide funds for programs and equipment not covered by the City budget. As the services offered by the Library continue to increase, the support of the Friends becomes ever more important.
April is Authors Month:
Meet Oregon author Bob Welch
Friday April 11, 2014 at NOON
Main Albany Public Library
Oregon author, inspirational speaker, journalism teacher and newspaper columnist, Bob Welch, will discuss his latest work, An Oregon Children’s Story, The Keyboard Kitten. The Keyboard Kitten blends the spirit of Dr. Seuss with the nuances of Oregon to offer a story of unlikely friendship and unexpected joy.
A renowned conference and workshop speaker, Mr. Welch tugs at hearts, tickles funny bones, and inspires people to be ripples on life’s waters.
A storyteller by nature, Welch gets the wealth of his speaking material from the 15 books he’s authored and the nearly 2,000 columns he’s written for The Eugene Register-Guard newspaper. Welch has also served as an adjunct professor of journalism at the University of Oregon in Eugene.
Welch has twice won the National Society of Newspaper Columnist’s highest award for writing. In addition, Welch has won dozens of other journalism awards, including the 2010 and 2011 Oregon Newspaper Publishers Association’s “Best Writing” awards. Other honors include the Seattle Times C.B. Blethen Award for Distinguished Feature Writing. Articles of Welch’s have been published in more than a dozen books, including seven in the popular “Chicken Soup for the Soul” series.
Look for three other inspirational Welch books that hit the shelves recently:
Fifty-Two Little Lessons from It’s a Wonderful Life
Resolve: From WWII Bataan, the Story of a Soldier, a Flag, and a Promise Kept
Cascade Summer: My Adventure on Oregon’s Pacific Crest Trail
FOL Membership Dues are due in April—Pay now and avoid the rush!
September Sallie Reihl, Seeking the Elephant: OR-CA Pioneer Trails
October JoLee & Steve Bryant, Visiting National Parks
November FOL Booksale
December Tim Reid, A Christmas Reading
January Matt Morse, Wine Authority
Library Uncorked Save the date for the Library Uncorked gala event celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Carnegie Library; it will be held February 8, 2014.
May Everett Kaser, Bee Culture
View a list of past programs hosted by the Friends as well as the program flyers.
Become a Friend of Albany Public Library
- Friends of the Library Bookstore
April is membership month
Dues: Senior - $10
Individual - $15
Family - $20
Sustaining - $50
Sponsor - $100
Benefactor - $500
- To join the Friends, please stop by the Bookstore, or pick up a brochure at either Library. Please make checks payable to: FRIENDS OF THE ALBANY PUBLIC LIBRARY. Mail to 2450 14th Ave. SE, Albany, OR, 97322-6880
- For a downloadable membership form, click here.
- BOOK STORE- Main Library - M, W, F 1:00-5:00; Tues 12:00-3:00; Sat 1:00-4:00
- Noon programs the second Friday of each month, September-May
- Summer Reading Programs for children, young adults and adults, June-August
- 2013 Used Book Sale - Save this date! November 8 - 9, 2013; Linn County Fairgrounds
- Author's Day in April
- Used books for sale at both Library branches
- Book bags, note cards, coffee cups, and holiday ornaments for sale at the Friends Book Store
- For book donation pick-up call Nancy Powell at 541-928-4400
SERIOUSLY SEEKING BOOKS! You and your donations are needed! All types of books welcome, and don't forget your CD's, and DVD's. Bring your books to back entrance of the new library or to the Carnegie Library.
Recent Purchases from Dues and Gifts
- Meeting room chairs and tables
- Chairs for catalog access
- Window coverings
- Books, and other materials
- Magazine racks
- Microfilm Reader Printer